Friday 24 April 2009

Street Style....Barbara Hulanicki

This is one of my favourite photos thus far on my photographic journey. I was SO excited to meet the fabulous Barbara Hulanicki, the legendary founder of fashion label, Biba. For those of you who aren't fashion aware, Biba was THE most iconic, hip label in London in the 1960's and 1970's. Barbara has just designed an exclusive capsule collection for Topshop (Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop will be available in-store and on-line from 28 April) which has received pre-launch rave reviews from the fashion press. Fittingly, just as I was asking Barbara if she would mind if I took her photograph, a hip young girl sauntered past wearing one of the t-shirts Barbara designed for Topshop! She apparently picked it up at the preview party at Miller's Academy of Arts and Sciences the other night. I think Barbara was a little bit pleased at seeing one of her pieces on the streets already....thinking back, I should have got a photo of the girl with Barbara as well - damn!

Barbara now lives in Miami and works as an interior and exterior designer (she has worked with Chris Blackwell on many of his hotels in Miami and the Bahamas, as well as on private commissions) in addition to designing a range of bags for Coccinelle, a range of wallpaper for Habitat and Graham&Brown, and a small jewellery collection with the V&A. Phew- I am exhausted just typing all that :)

Fabulous!

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you are to have met such a legend. Good choice of background, too. All of which points to your success as a style blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cameron! You can imagine my excitement when I spotted Barbara! I have had a very weird week this week-I have met and photographed some people who have been on my "wishlist" :) In particular some stylish Aussies who I will post tomorrow. It must be the sun coming out or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab job.....but you mean there were actually people walking around London in t-shirts???? How warm (I hesitate to use that word) is it over there nowadays??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha! Well, she did have a little jacket or cardi over the tee-shirt but YES, it has been tee-shirt and white wine weather :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Barbara,love the background and love the red printed dress from the topshop collection,see u all in the crush Tuesday?elbows ready............x

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is fab isn't she Anon! After looking at the Matthew Williamson line last week (and that was just the preview) I think I need to pack my sleeping bag and head down now ;-)

    ReplyDelete